Welcome to Reception
- Kirstyn Moss, Teacher Starfish
- Lizzie Rickman, Teacher Turtles
- Teresa Garland
- Jenna Rees
- Sayma Rahmatullah
- Becky Shawyer
Welcome to Reception at Nelson Primary School for you and your child. The autumn term is an exciting and busy first term of the Reception year. The team are looking forward to working in partnership with you to ensure your child’s first year at school is a happy and successful one.
This letter is designed to give you some helpful information about the coming term. Please refer to the Nelson Starter Pack for more detailed information about the Reception year or see your child’s teacher if you have a specific query.
- The term very much begins with “settling in” and “getting to know you”. We will initially focus on the question “Who am I”? Then, we will begin to widen our focus and ask the question “Who else lives around me?”– focusing on People who help us. Please find attached our planning overview for the term which also can be found on our school website – www.nelsonschool.org
- In this term, we begin our daily teaching of phonics. You will receive more information on this as the term progresses.
- This term is also full of exciting events and festivals such as Harvest, Diwali, Guru Nanak’s birthday, Guy Fawkes, Hanukkah and Christmas. We will be learning about celebrations and events from different cultures and countries, which make up the Nelson community. As part of this, we will be inviting parents and families to come in and share their culture with the Reception children in various ways. If you can contribute in any way, it would be very much appreciated.
- As well as this, in keeping with Reception good practice and ethos, we will also continue to take account of children’s interests and ideas and incorporate them, where possible, into our curriculum and learning.
- Your child will keep their own Learning Journey in class and, at times, you will be invited to contribute to this with your child. We will also ask you to share your child’s “WOW” moments with us and these will be included in their Learning Journeys. More information about this will be given later.
- Each class will be inviting parents to volunteer for the two Parent Rep roles who will act as a liaison between class teams and parents. Please lookout for the sign-up sheet on the class noticeboard if you are interested in volunteering.
Reception Parents “Get to Know You” Morning
There will be a “Get to Know You “morning on Thursday 10th October at 9.15 for Reception parents in each of the Reception classes. This will be an opportunity to find out more information about the Reception curriculum and how you can support your child throughout the year.
- We actively encourage parents to help in the classrooms. The children really enjoy it and benefit from it. The Reception team will be seeking to create a bank of parent volunteers who would be able to come into class on a regular basis and read with children individually.
- A timetable will be put up outside each class enabling you to sign up to come in and help in class each week. You do not have to commit yourself to the same time each week; you can sign up whenever it is convenient for you. PLEASE NOTE…YOU MUST BE DBS CLEARED to be a parent reader in the Reception classes. Please see the office staff about this.
- In order to allow the children time to settle into their class, parent readers will be invited to support in class after half term.
In Reception, we have our mid-morning snack each day. School fruit and vegetable snacks are available in class for all children on a daily basis. However, if you wish to provide your own snack, we would ask that you send a small portion of fruit or vegetables. We feel that this not only helps promote a positive attitude to healthy eating but also encourages good eating habits.
We send the book bag home every day. Books are changed once a week. It is important to return the book bag every day as children may often read on an ad-hoc basis. Children will be sent home with 2 colour coded reading books and a book to share during the week commencing 30th September. This is also when we will be starting our teaching of phonics. The children will have a diary book to record the title of the book and for you to make a comment about their reading and understanding of the book.
Reception Parent Consultations-
Monday 11th November and Thursday 14th November – more information to follow later. Both from 3:30-6:30 pm.
Reception Cake Sales-
Turtle class Friday 22nd May 2020
Starfish class Friday 24th January 2020
Reception Assemblies are on a Friday at 9.15 am in the Drama Hall
Turtle class Friday 22nd May 2020
Starfish class Friday 15th May 2020
We hope you have found this information helpful. We aim to keep parents as involved and informed as possible. A class newsletter will appear on the classes going home doors each week with information about the following week’s activities. Please do not hesitate to ask your child’s teacher or other members of the Reception team if you have a question or just wish to have a chat about any of the above.
Autumn Term 1 2019
Autumn 2 Term 2019
Spring 2 Term 2019
Summer Term 2019
Spring Term 2019
Autumn Term 2018
Summer Term 2 2018