Year 5 Curriculum Spring
Step back in time
Areas of learning
- In science, we will work scientifically on a variety of quick challenges and longer tasks to learn about the different ways in which scientists work in the real world. This topic looks at the discoveries of famous scientists, the methods forensic scientists use and the various ways scientists tell others about new discoveries.
- As historians, we will study health reform and the inventiveness of the Victorians. We will also learn about the British Empire and the effects of extending a monarch’s rule.
- In computing, we will complete our work on breaking and making codes and will then consider how we can use software to develop patterns and artwork.
- Pupils will be discussing the theme of sportsmanship and reciprocity, making links between sporting heroes and their own everyday life.
- We will be reading Street Child and using this as a focus for our writing. Through this, we will be able to make stronger links with our history curriculum.
Spiritual and Moral
- We pupils, we will recognise our worth as individuals by identifying positive things about ourselves and our achievements, seeing our mistakes, making amends and setting personal goals. We will talk and write about our opinions, and explain our views, on issues that affect society and ourselves. We will face new challenges positively by collecting information, looking for help, making responsible choices, and taking action.
- We will consider why Christians live the way they do and the source of their belief.