Nelson Infant School was opened in 1910 and built to take the overflow of children from the Church School in the grounds of Kneller Hall, housed in a large hut in Nelson Road. New buildings were completed in 1928, and there have been several additions since then.
Our exceptionally large playing field is a tremendous asset providing the children with a pleasant, green and open environment in which to learn and play.
We offer a Breakfast Club for our children from Reception to Year 6 from 7.35am to school start time each day. It provides safe and creative play and care for children before the school day begins. It is open on all school days and is located in the school gym.
We also offer a range of activity clubs for most year groups across lunchtimes and after school.
We are proud that our population reflects the local community. Our pupils represent six religions and English is an additional language for 35% of them, with 36 different languages spoken at home.
In September 2017 we joined with Latchmere School to become part of the Latchmere Academy Trust and have been working hard to develop strong relationships with our families and the wider community ever since.
As part of our Harvest Celebrations each year we invite representatives and leaders from the local community to attend a special assembly where we collect food for Richmond Food Bank. All of the children from nursery to year 6 enjoy the opportunity to sing beautifully for our visitors and we are always amazed by the generosity of our families.
This year we were extremely proud to have the St Georges Day parade start from our school. Taking part in these events enhances the learning opportunities for our children in subjects such as PSHE, English, Music, Drama, Art and Design. Encouraging our children and families to take part helps to create a greater awareness of social responsibility and enables us to celebrate community cohesion.