Meet our Governors

Caroline Crosdale

I am Deputy Head, SENCo and Governor of an ‘Outstanding’ Academy and have been part of leading, supporting and shaping the school on its journey to Outstanding. I understand the role of a governor as a critical friend to the leadership, whilst offering experience, support and appropriate challenge where needed.

Nelson primary is a great school and I would love the opportunity to support the school in achieving the very best outcomes for all children who attend.

Madeleine Maguire

Madeleine has an extensive background education, teaching at all levels from 6th Form to University.  She was Chair of Governors’ at a local secondary school for many years and joined Latchmere Academy Trust in 2018  as a Trustee becoming Chair of Governors at Nelson School last November. She is also a dedicated volunteer for different local charities.

Mary Parker

A governor at Nelson for 8 years initially as a parent governor and now as a community governor, determined to support and challenge Nelson to provide a safe and inspiring learning environment both inside and outside, to help attain positive progress and high standards throughout the school. Also a governor at a local secondary school and interested in the transition and journey beyond Nelson Primary.

Working as an architect on projects from housing to airports I am able to contribute to aspects of the school from Health and Safety to the whole school environment.

Anna Steels

As Headteacher of Nelson Primary School, I work with the Executive Headteacher and Trustees to develop the school’s Strategic Vision and Development Plan. It is also my responsibility to ensure that the school implements the strategy effectively and I look to the Local Advisory Board and trustees to support and challenge the Leadership Team to ensure that we do.

I took on the role of Headteacher in September 2017 when the Latchmere Academy Trust took over the running of Nelson Primary School following an inadequate rating by Ofsted. Prior to this I worked at Latchmere School for 10 years and sat on the governing body for 5 years.

Nick Lawson

Nick Lawson was appointed as a co-opted governor in January 2020. He has a chartership in procurement, with experience managing corporate governance and in programme management. Nick hopes to support and help develop Nelson Primary School.

Meg Wiggins

Meg Wiggins is a co-opted community governor, appointed in October 2019, but her history is as a parent at Nelson for 9 years. During that time, she was Chair of the PTA for several years and experienced firsthand both the joys and challenges of Nelson’s journey. Meg is a senior researcher and lecturer at the UCL Institute of Education.

Through this work, she has conducted research in many English primary schools and has skills in collecting, managing and interpreting data relating to teaching and learning. Meg hopes to bring both her personal and professional experience to the role of governor, to provide support and insight to the Nelson staff, students and parent community.