Nelson school follows the guidelines of London Borough of Richmond upon Thames on all admissions procedures. Our current admission level is 30 pupils per class from Reception to Year 6. We are in the process of consulting with the Secretary of State to change the the Published Admission Number (PAN) to 60 from September 2018.
- Visit Richmond Schools Admissions to view current admissions information
- Visit Richmond Schools Appeals to access information about school appeals and the timetable for this.
Starting school, Reception class places
Children generally start school in Reception during the school year in which they become 5 years old, typically known as ‘rising 5s’. School begins for most of these children in September, at the start of the school year.
Nelson currently admits 90 children into Reception, organised into 3 classes but is consulting on reducing the PAN to 60 from September 2018. Transfer from Nelson Nursery to Reception is not automatic. We also welcome children from a range of nursery schools, other settings or from home.
Starting school in 2019?
Richmond Council co-ordinate all admissions to reception classes at Nelson. The closing date for admission in September 2019 is (tto be decided). For further details about the admissions process, please visit Richmond School Admissions;
Joining Nelson from another school or moving to the area
Some children join Nelson from other local schools, from schools elsewhere in the UK or from overseas during the school year, all known as ‘in-year’ admissions.
If a vacancy exists in any age group, then an offer can be made because oversubscription criteria such as siblings already in school or distance from the school do not apply.
In-year admissions to Nelson Primary School are managed centrally by Richmond Upon Thames Council and are based on the current admissions criteria. Steps to joining Nelson:
1. Contact the school admission team at Richmond Council, Richmond School Admissions
2. Once you have been notified by Richmond Admissions of a place at Nelson for your child(ren), make arrangements to visit us. Contact School Admissions at Nelson by telephone
3. A member of the leadership team, will meet you and your child(ren) to tour the school and answer any questions that you may have.
4. When a child is transferring from another Richmond School, the Head Teacher will also meet you and your child(ren)
Our 26 place nursery opened in September 2016 . Children born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 are currently eligible to attend for the morning session, which runs from 8.35 am until 11.235 pm Monday to Friday.
If you wish to apply for a place, please read the following information regarding admissions arrangements and complete the application form: